Walgreens is the second-largest pharmacy store chain in America. It has stores in more than 9,000 locations countrywide. So, one must wonder about the types of payment options that Walgreens accept. There are more than 42 million EBT cardholders in the USA. They routinely use their EBT cards for online and in-store transactions, grocery purchases, and more. These 42 million customers have a question in their minds. Does Walgreens accept EBT?
So, if you are wondering, does Walgreens take EBT? The answer is Walgreens accepts EBT but in specific locations only. You have to contact your local store to check if they accept EBT. Some stores accept EBT. This is because the local laws and regulations vary from state to state. You can try the following steps to find the right store for EBT:
- Access the online Store Locator for Walgreens.
- Find the “Update Location” and enter your zip code in the prompt.
- Check the details for nearby stores to see if they accept EBT.
Does Walgreens Take EBT?
Before answering the question, it is pertinent to explain EBT. EBT stands for ”Electronic Benefits Transfer”. It is a program of the US government for underprivileged persons. It is similar to a debit card or credit card. Hence, it pays for the groceries and other EBT eligible items. Moreover, keep in mind that liquor and any tobacco products are not eligible for purchase using EBT.
Moving forward, Walgreens accepts EBT on select store locations. The best way to find this is by contacting your local store regarding EBT acceptability. The reason is that different states have different laws. Therefore, not all Walgreens locations take EBT.
How To Locate the Nearest Walgreens Store?
Customers have to locate the nearest store to find out if they accept EBT. Following is the step-by-step guideline to locate an eligible Walgreens store:
- Open your browser and go to the Store Locator for Walgreens.
- On this page, you will see an ”Update Location” button on the upper left.
- Click on that button.
- Enter your location, including your zip code.
- It will give you the details of the nearest store to your location.
- The details will include the contact number of the store, timings, and location, as well as EBT acceptance terms.
Hence, by contacting the store, you can find out if Walgreens accept EBT.
What Are the Other Options to Check Local Walgreens EBT Acceptability?
Nevertheless, if you are unable to find the Walgreens store online, you have two other options. One is to contact the voice support of Walgreens and ask them if your nearest local store accepts EBT. On the contrary, the other way is by using the option of live chat to ask if the local store accepts EBT. Both of these methods are explained below:
- To speak with the voice support of Walgreens, call 1-800-925-4733. It is available from 6:00 am till midnight.
- Secondly, if you want to get assistance from live chat, go to the online Contact Us option for Walgreens.
- On the upper right, you will see a button “Need Help? Live Chat.”
- Click on that button.
- Enter your first and last name. Then click on “Start Chat.”
- The system will connect you to a Chat support agent.
- Accordingly, the availability of chat support is from 6:00 am till midnight.
How To Pay at Walgreens with EBT?
Payment with EBT is similar to credit or debit card payment at POS (Point of Sale). Below are the topmost steps to follow while paying with EBT.
- Swipe your EBT card at any POS in a store.
- Enter your 4-digit PIN (Personal Identification Number).
- Validate payment amount and get the receipt of payment.
Benefits of EBT
Electronic Benefits Transfer is most popular in the USA. It has more than 42 million active users. The federal government issues EBT after due verification. Let us pinpoint some key benefits of EBT:
- On average, the holder of EBT gets $125 credit per month. This amount varies from $125 to $250.
- EBT is applicable in all the states of the USA.
- EBT holders can purchase groceries, food items, and non-alcoholic drinks. They can make this purchase in any store in America.
- EBT is also eligible on general household items.
- Moreover, if you need cash, EBT cash benefits are available via the TANF program.
- TANF is a Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. It helps in getting cash assistance.
- The major advantage of EBT is that it is exempted from sales tax and card processing fees.
How To Apply For EBT?
People are generally under the impression that they can apply online for EBT. However, that is not the case. You have to apply for EBT to any local office of EBT. Furthermore, you must check eligibility for EBT before contacting the local office.
To check your eligibility, please call the EBT helpline at 1-888-328-2666. You can also use this helpline to locate the local EBT office from where you have to apply. If you are facing any issues regarding EBT, then call 1-877-328-96.
What Is the Eligibility Criterion for An EBT Card?
EBT is a federally-funded program. All US states are eligible to apply. It covers food benefits for those who cannot afford them. EBT criteria are further sub-divided into two categories.
- For general public
- For Elderly/disabled persons
Let us examine the eligibility facts of both categories.
Eligibility Of EBT For the General Public
Following are the key points to follow and check eligibility for an EBT card:
- Applicant must be a US national or citizen.
- Must be a resident of the state from where he/she is applying for EBT.
- The monthly gross income should not be more than 185% of the federal poverty level.
- The federal poverty level is different for a different number of persons in a household.
- You can check the federal poverty level online.
- These federal poverty levels are listed as per the number of persons in a household.
- You can easily calculate your federal poverty level for the number of persons in a household.
- Household resources and bank account must be within $2,250.
Eligibility of EBT for Elderly/Disabled persons
The eligibility criterion for elderly/disabled persons is slightly different. Following are the main points to check before applying for EBT:
- The applicant must be a resident of the same state from where he/she is applying.
- Applicant must be a citizen or national of America.
- The gross monthly income should be below 120% of the federal poverty level.
- The federal poverty level is variable for a different number of persons in a household.
- You can calculate your federal poverty level from the link provided above.
- The cumulative household resources and bank balance should be less than $3,500.
- A disability certificate is mandatory in case a disabled person is applying for an EBT card.
- Only those persons are considered elderly who are 60 or above.
Does Walgreens Accept WIC?
WIC stands for Women, Infants, and Children. It is a special supplemental nutrition program. WIC is a special scheme from the Federal government for low-income women. Basically, it is for those women, infants, and children who are at risk of nutrition scarcity.
WIC card is eligible for purchasing food at any store throughout the USA. Alcohol and tobacco products are not eligible for a WIC card. Currently, more than 9 million people have WIC program enrollment. They all have a question in mind. Does Walgreens take WIC?
Well, long story short, Walgreens accepts WIC. However, this acceptance is for select locations. If you want to know if your nearest store accepts WIC, you can contact them. Furthermore, you can locate the nearest local store using the above-mentioned steps. Customer support is also mentioned above.
How To Pay at Walgreens with WIC?
Walgreens accepts WIC at specific locations. It is because of different laws in different states. WIC is similar in use to a credit card or debit card, such as Lowe’s credit card. The following steps will guide you on how to pay at Walgreens with WIC:
- Go to any POS (Point of Sale) in the Walgreens store.
- Swipe your WIC card.
- Enter your PIN (Personal Identification Number)
- Check the amount of payment and get the receipt.
What Are the Advantages of Using WIC?
A nutrition-providing program, WIC, is especially for low-earning women. It is for women having children and infants. Let us highlight some of its key advantages.
- WIC is for low-income single mothers.
- Infants and children whose nutrition is at risk are eligible for this program.
- WIC program allows women to purchase food items, medical prescriptions, and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Similarly, WIC is eligible for use in all the states of the USA.
- WIC does not offer cash benefits.
- The program covers approximately 9 million persons to date.
- Grocery items and non-grocery items are also eligible for purchase.
- Tax exemption and additional card processing fees are not applicable to WIC holders.
How To Apply and Get WIC?
There is a certain application process for WIC. This process also incorporates verification and eligibility to get WIC. The following steps will provide a guide to apply and get a WIC card:
- You can apply for it by contacting the nearest local WIC office.
- You can check the directory to find the phone number of the local WIC office.
- However, if you are unable to find the phone number of the local WIC office, call the WIC helpline at 1-800-342-3556.
- Ask them for the local office address.
- You can also ask for the local office number.
What Is the Eligibility Criterion For WIC?
WIC, as the name implies, is designed for three categories of persons.
Women can apply if they meet the following criterion:
- Must be an American citizen/national.
- If the woman wants to apply during pregnancy, she must be at least six months pregnant.
- For infants, the women can claim eligibility till the first birthday of the infant.
- Regarding children, women can apply till they reach five years of age.
- Women must belong to the low-income category.
- The range of income is between 100% of the federal poverty level. It should not exceed 185% of the federal poverty level.
- The federal poverty level is dependent on the number of persons in a household.
- You can check the federal poverty level from the website of the FDA.
- You must be a resident of the state to which you are applying.
- Applicants for the WIC program must have a certificate from a health specialist.
- A medical certificate for nutrition risk is mandatory.
- A medical certificate can be for any of the above-mentioned three categories.
Does Walgreens Accept Food Stamps?
Food stamp is the former name of SNAP (Supplement Nutrition Assistance Program). This program is specifically for households who are below the poverty line. Approximately 40 million Americans are using SNAP or Food Stamp Program. If you are a Food Stamp holder, you must be wondering if Walgreens accept Food Stamp.
Yes, Walgreens take Food Stamps, but it is limited to certain locations. This limitation is because every state has different rules for Food Stamps Eligibility. Moreover, Food Stamps are not eligible for tobacco and alcoholic products.
To check the eligibility of your Food Stamps, contact your local Walgreens store. However, you can find a local store by following the above-mentioned steps. In addition, customer support steps are also pointed out.
How To Pay at Walgreens with Food Stamps?
Walgreen also accepts Food Stamps at specific locations. Payment at Walgreens with Food Stamps is as easy as pie. Let us guide you with the simple steps of payment with Food Stamps.
- Go to any POS (Point of Sale) at Walgreens.
- Swipe the Food Stamp card and enter a 4-digit PIN.
- Authenticate the amount of payment.
- After that, collect receipt of payment.
What Are the Advantages of Food Stamps/SNAP?
Food stamp/SNAP is the countrywide program of the US government to counter poverty. SNAP has a whopping 40 million users. Following are the main advantages of Food Stamps:
- Food Stamps counter poverty and hunger.
- People who are living below the poverty line get easy access to food with Food Stamps.
- Food Stamps are eligible on food items, beverages excluding alcohol.
- Tobacco and alcoholic products are not eligible for purchase using Food Stamps.
- Medicines and household items are also eligible in the Food Stamps program.
- Food Stamps are eligible to use at POS stores in all states of the USA.
How To Apply for Food Stamps/SNAP?
Food stamps are available in all the states of the USA. Every individual living below the poverty line is eligible to apply for Food Stamps. The step-by-step guide on how to apply for Food Stamps is explained as below:
- United States Department of Agriculture foresees the process of Food Stamps.
- You have to apply for Food Stamps via the local office of SNAP.
- Open your web browser and go to the official webpage for the application of Food Stamps. This link will open a map of the USA.
- Click on your state and then the city.
- It will show the location and contact details of the nearest SNAP office.
- You can contact the SNAP office to apply for the Food Stamps program.
However, to locate a local store, you can call the Food Stamps helpline at 1-800-221-5689. Ask regarding details of the nearest local SNAP office.
What Is the Eligibility Criterion to Apply for Food Stamps/SNAP?
The enrollment in every government-funded program is based on certain eligibility criteria. Similarly, SNAP also has a pre-requisite criterion. In addition, the eligibility is different for the general public and for disabled persons. Let us briefly explain the eligibility of both categories.
Eligibility Criteria for General Public
Firstly, let us check the eligibility criteria of Food Stamps for the general public.
- The monthly gross income is a maximum of 130% of the federal poverty level.
- Federal poverty varies with the number of household persons.
- To check your federal poverty level, you can go to the online federal poverty information website.
- This link will provide the federal poverty line as per the number of persons in a household.
- Therefore, you can calculate your federal poverty level by checking it in this URL.
- Furthermore, the resources, including bank account, should be less than $2500.
Eligibility Criteria for Elderly/Disabled Persons
Elderly/disabled persons have an exemption. Hence, they have slightly different criteria for SNAP eligibility. Below steps highlight the key eligibility requirements for elderly/disabled persons:
- The income should not be more than 120% of the federal poverty level.
- Household resources and bank account should have a limit of $3,500.
- The federal poverty level can be calculated from the online poverty information webpage.
- After calculating the federal poverty level, one can estimate the eligibility for SNAP.
On the whole, Walgreens accept EBT, WIC, and Food Stamps. This acceptability is limited to select locations only. The best way to check that is by contacting the local store. You can locate a local store easily by following the above-mentioned steps.
Similarly, you can also contact customer support to inquire about eligibility at your local store. Each of the support programs has a separate eligibility criterion. We have separately explained these above. In a nutshell, Walgreens take EBT but at specific locations.